Memorial Hospital & Health System
Switch Board Operator MHO','172943','United States-Indiana','','Memorial Hospital','Communication Services','Full-time, Evening','Full-time','Evening','1430 & 2300','','false','Sep 19, 2017','11.27','18.02','!*!JOB SUMMARY
Reports to Manager, Ambassador & Communication Services (and Administrative Nursing Supervisor after hours). Under general supervision, performs responsibilities either at the information desks or the switchboard area. Effectively uses the Xtend Communications Medicall Intelligent Console technology and world class service to process incoming phone calls to Memorial Hospital and Beacon Health System’s communications systems. Answers the Transfer Direct line and facilitates unit to unit, ER to ER, and B to C transfer process as appropriate. While at the information desks, provides effective patient information telephone coverage and assists Hospital guests (i.e., patients, visitors, etc.) by providing a variety of information. Provides call processing, dispatch and answering services for various departments. Responds to emergency systems and alarms by following established procedures. In all areas of responsibility, acts as a representative of the Hospital and Beacon Health System and strives to make a good first impression.
MISSION & VISION
Mission: To enhance the physical, mental and emotional well-being of the communities we serve as the community’s provider of outstanding quality, superior value and comprehensive health care services.
Vision: Our vision is to achieve:
· Innovative health care and well-being services of the highest quality at the greatest value
· Easy access and convenience
· Outstanding patient experiences
· Ongoing education involving physicians, patients and the community
Education and Experience
The knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated below are normally acquired through the successful completion of a high school diploma (or equivalent). A minimum of two years of relevant experience (i.e. customer service, telephone usage, etc.) is required.
Knowledge & Skills
1. Requires verbal communication skills, using a clear voice, diction and enuciation, necessary to communicate in a clear and effective manner to patients, visitors, physicians and team members.
2. Requires the effective phone usage skills necessary to process information accurately.
3. Demonstrates the interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) necessary to interact with patients and visitors from various backgrounds in a professional, efficient, enthusiastic, courteous, friendly, caring, sincere and tactful manner.
4. Requires the ability to effectively prioritize and handle emergency situations.
5. Requires basic typing or keyboarding skills. Computer data entry skills are desired.
6. Demonstrates good listening skills with sensitivity to individuals who do not speak English as their first language.
7. Requires the necessary reading and comprehension skills to efficiently process information and to use training materials and reference manuals to locate information.
8. Also shows a willingness to learn, and the ability to grasp operational concepts.
9. Requires the ability to strictly follow the Hospital’s policy regarding confidentiality.
10. Demonstrates a genuine interest in providing excellent internal and external customer service.
1. Works in a busy office and hospital lobby environment where there is regular contact with individuals from various backgrounds. Has contact with patients and family members who may be under stress.
2. The ability to work varying shifts and work schedules (such as weekends and holidays) is required.
3. Requires an understanding of the need to be responsive and adaptable for scheduling purposes, when necessary, due to extenuating circumstances in support of team members and department functions.
Requires the physical ability and stamina (i.e. to sit for prolonged periods of time, lift up to 15 pounds, push wheelchairs, etc) to perform the essential functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The below statements are intended to describe the essential job functions and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel occupying this position.
1. Serves as a first contact for phone calls received into the communication system and for persons who come into Hospital's main entrance by:
· Effectively using the Xtend Communications Medicall Intelligent Console Communications system to answer (and, if necessary, routing to the proper number) a high volume of phone calls to the Hospital’s and Beacon Health System’s main phone numbers in a timely manner using appropriate scripting and words.
· Answering and directing phone calls from within the Hospital campus. Also answering calls from the Hospital’s courtesy phones.
· Assessing all types of calls using current/accurate knowledge of the organization and its services.
· Receiving, processing and dispatching calls/requests for the Security, Laundry, Engineering, Maintenance, Telecommunications, Bio-Medical and Nutritional Services Departments.
· Providing accurate information to callers, patients, visitors and staff by utilizing various resources (i.e., computer screens, flip files, etc). This may include the following information: admitting procedures, directions, visiting hours, parking information, physician practices, surgery schedules, etc.
· Ensuring that the Hospital’s policy on confidentiality is strictly adhered to. Also is aware of the need to lower one’s voice in certain situations.
· Staying aware of activities, meetings, etc. going on within the Hospital and Beacon Health System in order to be able to provide information and answer questions.
· Providing phone support to physicians who request assistance (i.e., paging or contacting other medical staff members, etc.).
· Providing call support for Beacon Health Systems Extension 7200 line.
· Acting as a centralized call station and by maintaining updated scheduling information for on-call team members from certain departments and agencies.
· Primary support for Hospitalists.
· Providing after-hours answering service for Memorial’s Pain Clinic and Dr. Navarro’s pump patients Providing on-call information for various departments and offices during evening and weekend hours.
· Utilizing the Xtend Medicall System (call handling and comprehensive messaging) to do direct paging of individuals (such as Social Workers) as required. Also operating multi-tone 3-digit and 7-digit pagers.
· Performing routine clerical duties as directed.
· Assisting with the training of new Communication Clerks as directed.
· Redirecting mail for discharged patients.
· Validating parking for clergy, Hospital volunteers, visitors and patients according to established procedures while at the information desks.
· Scheduling use of the bulletin boards located in the hospital.
2. Facilitates Transfer Direct calls by:
· Immediately answering incoming calls on the 7777 line.
· Following the appropriate script for the case provided by the caller.
· Utilizing critical thinking skills and active listening skills to assess and direct the calls.
· Connecting sending facility or requesting agency to helicopter dispatch.
· Maintaining up to date information regarding transfer protocol.
· Handing off information regarding recent and pending calls to the next Transfer Direct operator at change of duty.
· Auto-accepting cases on behalf of Memorial Hospital that meet the specific criteria set forth by the Medical Emergency Transport Committee.
3. Responds to various hospital emergency and non-emergency systems and alarms by:
· Recognizing and recording the type of emergency or non-emergency system/alarm and following the proper procedure at the switch board and information desks, in a timely manner.
· Maintaining a comprehensive understanding about emergency situations and the importance of following the proper procedure at the switchboard and information desks.
· Communicating appropriate information to the Nursing Supervisor, Engineer and/or the Security Department when necessary.
· Utilizing good judgment and maintaining one’s composure in any stressful situation.
4. Maintains the work area and equipment in an orderly manner by:
· Reporting to the Manager regarding possible equipment replacement.
· Also entering work orders as needed in the Request tab on the Intranet home page.
· While at the Information Desk, ensuring that wheelchairs are available.
STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOR
· Anticipates and takes proactive steps to ensure customer’s needs are met
· Places courtesy and service above routine and goes beyond customer expectations
· Keeps patient/work environment neat and clean
· Understands and applies job-related aspects of patient safety and identifies, reports and corrects safety concerns as quickly as possible
· Keeps others well informed
· Practices active listening
· Develops and maintains positive working relationships
· Uses problem solving techniques to resolve issues and makes decisions within personal sphere of influence
· Seeks to understand patient's experience
· Demonstrates integrity and strong business ethics
· Utilizes time and resources in a prudent manner
· Strives to continually improve department processes and services
· Projects professional image through enthusiasm towards work, behavior and appearance
· Demonstrates Beacon values verbally and through actions
· Displays and exhibits caring behaviors with each interaction
· Demonstrates self-awareness and sensitivity to the perceptions of others
· Listens carefully to input and concerns and takes appropriate action
· Interacts with dissatisfied customers in a calm, respectful manner and seeks resolutions
· Maintains confidentiality at all times
· Fosters a sense of trust and collaboration among associates
· Verbal and written communications are clear and effective
· Responds to change in a positive manner
Associate complies with the following organizational requirements:
· Attends and participates in department meetings and is accountable for all information shared.
· Completes mandatory education, annual competencies and department specific education within established timeframes.
· Completes annual employee health requirements within established timeframes.
· Maintains license/certification, registration in good standing throughout fiscal year.
· Direct patient care providers are required to maintain current BCLS (CPR) and other certifications as required by position/department.
· Consistently utilizes appropriate universal precautions, protective equipment, and ergonomic techniques to protect patient and self.
· Adheres to regulatory agency requirements, survey process and compliance.
· Complies with established organization and department policies.
· Available to work overtime in addition to working additional or other shifts and schedules when required.
Commitment to Beacon's six-point Operating System, referred to as The Beacon Way:
· Leverage innovation everywhere.
· Cultivate human talent.
· Embrace performance improvement.
· Build greatness through accountability.
· Use information to improve and advance.
· Communicate clearly and continuously.
','','Switch Board Operator MHO']);
Memorial Hospital & Health System
Website : http://www.qualityoflife.org