Canadian National Railway Co.
A railroad communications technician is responsible for installing, testing, inspecting, maintaining, repairing, troubleshooting, assembling, and/or dismantling inside/outside communications equipment, parts, and related items. A headquarter location will be assigned and the technician will travel and work within assigned geographic area.
Duties and responsibilities:
The selected candidate will install and maintain fiber optics, cables, towers, antenna work, power plant, voice radio systems, telephone systems, inside and outside communications wiring, and microwave/radio site & wayside inspection systems, and terminate overhead/underground cabling and fiber. Prior experience with serial, T1, and IP technologies preferred.
Comply with company and federal safety rules, policies and procedures to include wearing required safety equipment, responding to safety concerns and taking appropriate action.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- Able to work outdoors in all extreme weather conditions: hot, cold, rain, snow, and sleet. Safety sensitive work environment
- Able to perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb ladders and on/off equipment, as well as work from a boom truck basket
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Able to use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling
- Available to work a 40 hour work week subject to overtime, on-call and alternate shifts that may include weeknights, weekends and holidays. Shifts are governed by union agreement subject to seniority.
- Must be 18 years of age
- High School diploma or GED
- Valid drivers license
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position
- Available to work in the geographic area indicated
- Able to read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English
- Able to visually distinguish among red, blue, green and yellow colors, hear, and with training, distinguish auditory signals
- Follow safety policies and procedures and wear the required personal protective equipment required for the job in a safe manner
- Ability to obtain and maintain a FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License prior date of hire.Training:
Company paid on-the-job training is provided.
Moderate - Available to travel around the seniority (designated) region and remain away from home for up to days or weeks at a time
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Dues: Per the collective bargaining agreement, union membership and monthly dues are required.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
Canadian National Railway Co.